Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"Curl it Up" With Kinky Curly's Curling Custard

While I generally blow dry and flat iron my hair after washing, at the end of my hair cycle I sometimes "curl it up" with Kinky Curly's Original Curling Custard. Unlike the directions on the Kinky Curly youtube video, I use the product on dry hair (a week old) to achieve my desired curly/wavy style. While I generally "rebraid" the hair each night while wearing this style, it can last about three days before it's time to move on.  Click here for photos of the final product! As a disclaimer, I should mention that I do not have a relaxer, so I'm not exactly sure how the product would behave on relaxed hair.

Step 1: Divide and Section the Hair.  Starting with dry hair, divide the hair depending on the whether you want more of a curl (4-5 sections) or a wave pattern (3 sections). Tip: It is not necessary to part the hair with a comb.  I find that well defined parts with a comb make it more difficult for the hair to "hang" naturally the following day.  This time around, I wanted more of a wavy look so I only worked with 3 sections.

Step 2: Apply Product. Apply a small amount of product to the section that you are working.  I probably use 1/3 teaspoon for each section of hair. Tip: You can use a fine-toothed comb to ensure there is even application and to prepare for step 3.  Don't apply too much - a little of this product goes a LONG way!  If you add too much the hair can be stiff.  If you use just a bit on dry hair and follow these instructions you will have bouncy curls or waves.

Step 3:  Cornrow Each Section.  After applying the product, immediately cornrow the section.  I use little black rubber bands to secure the ends.  You can also use little roller rods (those hurt my head).

Step 4:  Spray Hair.  Using a spray bottle give your cornrows several sprays.  The hair is meant to be "gently" moist not sopping wet.  I find that using a little water helps with the curl/wave pattern when starting with dry hair.

Step 5:  Silk Scarf.  Tie your hair with a silk scarf and go to bed!  In the morning all you will have to do is take down your cornrows, fluff and go!
Dry Hair
Sectioned Hair
Hair in Cornrows
(after product is applied)
Curling Custard

No comments:

Post a Comment