Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Homemade Shea Butter Coconut Mix

Have you made any homemade mixes?  If so tell us about it!  Since moving to France, while Sasou's hair has thrived, Lady Grace's has started to suffer from severe dryness.  While dryness is beyond common in naturally curly hair, it has been magnified since our arrival and I have decided to take matters into my own hands and go moisture crazy! LOL. But seriously, I have come up with a plan of action that involves a weekly moisturizing regimen and daily maintenance.  While I certainly plan to continue to use commercial products, I have also decided to use some homemade mixes, as well. For starters, I decided to make a Shea Butter Coconut Mix (with bit of Argan and Olive Oils).  Why this combination?  Coconut oil is a carrier oil and is better absorbed into the hair than many other oils.  I used cold pressed, virgin, organic coconut oil.   There is also much written on shea butter  - it has been used for ages on the Continent and is known for its healing, restorative properties - plus it is a great sealant to keep that moisture "locked" in.  Argan and olive oils help with dry scalp and dryness in general.  So there is my logic!  The mixture was quite easy to make, but finding the components around Paris was a bit more involved.  This weekend I plan on using some of this mix for a deep (and hot) conditioning treatment (will probably combine it with a bit of Shea Moisture's Deep Conditioning Masque and a bit of Castor Oil, which is also good for those with moisture challenges).  Wish us luck!
Final Product (in an old Nieva container)

Ingredients (shea butter, coconut oil, argan oil and olive oil)


No comments:

Post a Comment