Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Trim: A New Years Resolution in August?

Among my mommy friends we seem to back and forth about whether it is necessary to trim our little girls' hair. I decided to do so (this is the second time ever) for the reason below.

We've all read articles about the connection between length retention and the health of the ends of our hair. While I am not obsessed with hair length, I do think there is definitely truth to that argument. The logic goes that often times we say that our hair just doesn't grow (past a certain length). Truthfully, the hair is indeed growing.  However, in many cases the ends of the hair (which have been around the longest) may be damaged and excessively dry which can cause breakage (at the ends) at a faster or same rate as hair growth from the root. I know for a fact, that with our busy schedule sometimes I'll look up and nearly a week has passed and I've not given the the ends of my girls hair the attention and maintenance needed (i.e. moisturizing the ends). In addition to a trim, which was less than 1/2 inch, the girls got a deep oil treatment/conditioning per-wash for Sasou and post-wash for Joelle, which incorporated Shea Moisture Deep Conditioning Masque plus castor and olive oils for good measure - all under a heat cap!   

I also think that excessive use of barrettes and rubber bands to hold beads can also damage and weaken tender ends.  That said, over the past few months between swimming and travel back to the United States, I've totally slacked (bad mommy) and felt the need for a trim to begin with a healthier "slate" of hair as we begin the school year in a few weeks. Along the same line of thinking, as soon as we get through the swimming season, I am planning to change up our hair routine a bit to include more double strand twists for Lady Grace in particular and fewer rubber bands and barrettes and more "protective" styles in general. While I wasn't exactly sure where I was going with this post, it appears to be a New Years Hair Resolution in August!

Getting a Hair Trim

No comments:

Post a Comment