Friday, May 24, 2013

The Politics of Brown Dolls & Self-Image

So I was recently thinking about the politics of self-image and dolls as pertains to the purchases that I make for my children.  For purposes of full disclosure, I should say that we are an African American family living in France.  We have lived in countries, both in Asia and Europe, our kids speak fluent French and we enjoy an ethnically diverse group of friends.  Our children are well accustomed to people of different cultures and backgrounds. We actively teach them the importance of embracing and being proud of one's (African American) heritage, while also stressing the importance of respecting and valuing the cultural backgrounds of others.  We teach them this life lesson not only by explicitly stating as much, but living our lives as examples, as well.

I digress.  So, back to the part about embracing African American heritage, I generally purchase brown dolls in an effort to ensure that my girls have a positive self-image.  I know that they are interested in Tinkerbell and her fairy friends and blond-haired Barbies with high heels, as well as Snow White and her friend Cinderella.  In fact, I was stunned when one of my girls told me she wanted yellow (blond), long hair but no braids!  While explaining that there is nothing wrong with blond hair, I felt it was important for me to communicate the beauty of being a little brown girl with cornrows, twists, and plaits by reading books like: "Happy to be Nappy" and "I Love My Hair!".   That said, for the near term, I plan to continue to "gently" encourage my girls to embrace dolls like: American Girl's Ady and dark-skinned "bitty twins", the numerous variations of Princess Tiana, and Target brand baby dolls.  Much to my delight I recently found that the Lalaloopsy line comes with some brown varieties as well, with one doll called Dot Starlight!  I love how my girls delight in playing with Doc McStuffins!  How awesome is she!  A little six-year old "doctor" who treats her stuffed animals.  I hope there will continue to be a proliferation of dolls of all ethnic backgrounds and skin hues and that my girls will internalize a positive self-image and be able to embrace not only little brown dolls, but others, as well.  

Welcome your thoughts!

Two of Our Favorite Dolls - Doc McStuffins & Tiana




1 comment: